TAKING THE “FRIGHT” OUT OF HALLOWEEN
Halloween is one of our most beloved holiday traditions, but it can be challenging for some children. Children diagnosed with Autism or Sensory issues or even language delays or speech disorders can find various aspects of Halloween to be more of a “trick” than a “treat”.
Planning ahead can help alleviate many of these challenges. Here are some simple tips for reducing stress!
1. PREPARE YOUR CHILD. Show your child pictures or videos of Halloween. Talk about what happens or read a social story or even role play the act of trick-or-treating. Anxiety is often caused by not knowing what to expect.
2. CHOOSE THE RIGHT COSTUME. Some children with sensory issues have difficulty adjusting to different textures or weight of fabric. Masks should be avoided and it’s best of every day clothing can be adapted to be a costume. Use sweats and a hoodie to make an animal costume or super hero. (I was a pink sweat suit bunny in preschool!) Let your child wear the costume before Halloween and be prepared that they may refuse on the big day. And that’s alright!
3. MAKE A PLAN. Choose to go early before it gets dark or too crowded. Choose to only go to houses near your own in case your child needs to exit quickly. Avoid houses with scary decorations or people dressed up to scare the kids.
4. THE BUDDY SYSTEM. Stay with your child, but it helps if you can pair them with a neuro-typical peer if possible. This peer can serve as a role model and may help reduce anxiety.
5. DIET RESTRICTIONS. If your child has a restricted diet, you can bring your own treats to hand to the homeowner at the moment or ahead of time. Also, discuss with your child ahead of time what and how much candy they will be allowed to eat that night.
In some cases, it can help if the child carries or wears a card explaining why they don’t say “trick or treat” or “thank you”. Feel free to use mine or make your own.
10/28/2021 10:44:15 pm
Every one of the individuals in this photograph looking so upbeat. It is the wellspring of the joy to praise the seemingly insignificant details. I was scanning for the uplifting news and all of a sudden I discovered this news. You attempt to give a little however one of a kind post for the individuals.
Leave a Reply.